Love your pet ... love your vet - October 2011
Autumn aches: is your pet affected?
With the cooler, damper autumn weather upon us now is the time when we all start to feel our aches and pains and your pets are no exception.
Lookout for limps and difficulty in rising after rest – these are signs that your pet may have joint stiffness and pain which can be made much worse by cold or damp weather.
The joints that are most susceptible to arthritis are those associated with limb movement; these joints are called synovial joints. The ends of the bones are covered by very smooth articular cartilage and the joints are also lubricated with synovial fluid – thus allowing friction free movement.
Arthritic joints typically show a progressive breakdown and thinning of the cartilage lining the ends of the bones and formation of secondary new bone around the joint. Affected joints usually appear stiff, swollen and painful.
In the majority of cases, arthritis occurs secondary to a lifetime of wear and tear on the joints. However, arthritis may also occur following joint trauma or due to malformation of the joint.
The good news is that new forms of medication, together with weight control (which is very important and you should seek advice from your vet if you feel your pet is over-weight) can make a huge difference to the lives of affected pets.
If your pet is showing any signs of stiffness and/or pain book them in for a health check with your vet.
Archived Articles :
- April 2013 - New pet in the family
- March 2013 - Itchy skin – could it be an allergy?
- February 2013 - Thyroid problems in pets
- January 2013 - Arthtritis - is your pet affected?
- December 2012 - love your vet this Christmas
- November 2012 - Combat firework fear!
- October 2012 - Troublesome ticks!
- September 2012 - Thirsty work…
- August 2012 - Kennel cough – is your dog protected?
- July 2012 - Don't get the summertime blues!
- June 2012 - Rabbit dental problems & a growing issue
- May 2012 - Fact file: Heart Disease
- April 2012 - Healthy teeth and gums
- March 2012 - Healthy teeth and gums
- February 2012 - Drinking like a fish?
- January 2012 - New Rules for the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS)
- December 2011 - Top ten tips for Christmas
- November 2011 - Remember, remember your pets this November
- October 2011 - Autumn aches: is your pet affected?
- September 2011 - Worms: a wriggly problem!
- August 2011 - Kennel cough – is your dog protected?
- July 2011 - Summertime: The heat is on!
- June 2011 - Pet passengers - are fleas and ticks an issue?
- May 2011 - Rabbit Awareness Week
- April 2011 - Eyes: taking the long view!
- March 2011 - Spring has sprung!
- February 2011 - Getting to the root of the problem!
- January 2011 - Pet Insurance - a really good idea!
- December 2010 - The big chill – a seasonal survival guide!
- November 2010 - Ticker trouble! Is my pet affected?
- October 2010 - Remember, remember your pets this November
- September 2010 - Autumn Alert!
- August 2010 - Thyroid disease – is your pet affected?
- July 2010 - It's official: Chips are good for pets!
- June 2010 - Beat the heat this summer!
- May 2010 - Wriggle your way out of this one!
- April 2010 - Parasites… spring into action and pollen problems
- March 2010 - Planning your trip abroad this summer?
- February 2010 - Meal deal – choosing the ideal diet!
- January 2010 - Winter Worries!
Say you saw it on "Broadstone NET"