Love your pet ... love your vet -
Don't get the summertime blues!
At last, summer’s here! But whilst we enjoy the warmer summer weather, we should spare a thought for all our pets. Here are a few tips to keep them fit and well.
Slip slap slop! Cats just love sunbathing! However, pets with white ear tips and noses are particularly at risk from sunburn and subsequent cancer. This risk can be reduced by keeping them out of the sun or applying water-proof sunblock to these particular areas during the summer months.
Grass seeds of the meadow grasses are an issue at this time of year. They are quite commonly trapped in dogs’ ears or may also become embedded in the feet or other areas. Thorough inspection is therefore recommended after walks.
Bee and wasp stings are another seasonal problem. Some pets are allergic to them and may require prompt veterinary care following on from a sting!
Fleas and ticks – it is important to keep up your guard against these pesky parasites. Flea eggs lurk in carpets, bedding, or outside in parks and gardens and will start to hatch and develop into adult fleas. Ticks live in areas of long grass, woodland and heathland and will attach themselves to passing pets. Keep up your treatments!
Flies pose a big problem for rabbits as the weather warms up. Flies are particularly attracted to rabbits if they have soiled bottoms which are where they will lay their eggs. These will rapidly hatch out into flesh eating maggots. Check your bunnies’ bottoms on a daily basis. Also ensure your rabbit has a shaded area within their run.
Finally, never leave your pet in a car on a hot day, even for a short while as they can over-heat extremely quickly.
If you have any concerns over your pets during the summer months, call your vet for advice.
Archived Articles :
- April 2013 - New pet in the family
- March 2013 - Itchy skin – could it be an allergy?
- February 2013 - Thyroid problems in pets
- January 2013 - Arthtritis - is your pet affected?
- December 2012 - love your vet this Christmas
- November 2012 - Combat firework fear!
- October 2012 - Troublesome ticks!
- September 2012 - Thirsty work…
- August 2012 - Kennel cough – is your dog protected?
- July 2012 - Don't get the summertime blues!
- June 2012 - Rabbit dental problems & a growing issue
- May 2012 - Fact file: Heart Disease
- April 2012 - Healthy teeth and gums
- March 2012 - Healthy teeth and gums
- February 2012 - Drinking like a fish?
- January 2012 - New Rules for the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS)
- December 2011 - Top ten tips for Christmas
- November 2011 - Remember, remember your pets this November
- October 2011 - Autumn aches: is your pet affected?
- September 2011 - Worms: a wriggly problem!
- August 2011 - Kennel cough – is your dog protected?
- July 2011 - Summertime: The heat is on!
- June 2011 - Pet passengers - are fleas and ticks an issue?
- May 2011 - Rabbit Awareness Week
- April 2011 - Eyes: taking the long view!
- March 2011 - Spring has sprung!
- February 2011 - Getting to the root of the problem!
- January 2011 - Pet Insurance - a really good idea!
- December 2010 - The big chill – a seasonal survival guide!
- November 2010 - Ticker trouble! Is my pet affected?
- October 2010 - Remember, remember your pets this November
- September 2010 - Autumn Alert!
- August 2010 - Thyroid disease – is your pet affected?
- July 2010 - It's official: Chips are good for pets!
- June 2010 - Beat the heat this summer!
- May 2010 - Wriggle your way out of this one!
- April 2010 - Parasites… spring into action and pollen problems
- March 2010 - Planning your trip abroad this summer?
- February 2010 - Meal deal – choosing the ideal diet!
- January 2010 - Winter Worries!
Say you saw it on "Broadstone NET"